Enter your email address to be notified when we've added an update.

Friday, July 8, 2011

Slipcovers

This is my first attempt at slipcovering something ala Miss Mustard Seed (check out her blog and tutorials if you're interested).  We replaced the giant footstool with a smallish one from the Pottery Barn outlet store.  It had a basic muslin cover but was missing the slipcover.  Great price though and it fits the room much better.  So here I go.
 
 This is a painter's drop cloth purchased at Lowe's for $20 and I only used about 1/3 of the material for this project. It's an oatmeal colored cotton that has a lived in linen look that we love.
I figured out making slipcovers is not an exact science and the tutorials I had watched kept playing in my head while I was pinning the fabric.  

I also kept remembering it was only $20 and my labor, so not much to loose if I didn't like the results.  


Last pinning step with everything inside out.  First time I pinned the skirt, I did it backwards and had to re-do all of the pins.  Other than that and a few things I would do differently next time, I think it came out pretty well.

It's washable too, as I pre-washed the drop cloth before starting.  Sorry for the dark spots, I seem to have a smudge on my camera lens.

My next project is to slipcover the gray couch.  I'll be making my own welt or covered piping to add to the difficulty factor.  Wish me luck!

No comments: